Wednesday, March 21, 2012

PhoDOGraphy

I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner



Winston
I love taking photographs of dogs. Not just my own dogs, but dogs in general.  I have four brittany spaniels so I am never at a loss for finding a model.  I find that so much can be told about a dog's personality through a picture.  I don't limit my photography though to just my own pets.  Many times while out hiking or walking in town or at the park I will meet some beautiful dogs.  Even in those quick moments I will try to capture a photograph of them like the beautiful bull mastiff I sat next to at a lacrosse game a few years ago or my friend's bulldog, Fribble who was hanging out the car window one day while we all waited to pick the kids up after school one day.  I take care of a friend's black labrador on occasion and will use him as a model from time to time too.
If you have dogs you know that their personalities come out at unexpected moments, so I always try to have a camera at the ready whether it's my Canon, iPhone or GoPro.  We joke about strapping the GoPro on one of the dog's for a day to see the video footage of their treks through the backyard.
I have used other people's pets up close and at a distance. One day I was at the park after a terrific snow fall - it was the winter of 2011, not this last winter we just finished.  I took a photo of two ladies walking a dog.  From a distance the photograph depicts a scene and tells a story which is very different than an portrait shot which gives you insight into the subject's character.
Here are some other beautiful dogs I have met along the way so far that I have had the pleasure to photograph.
Fribble
Tucker

Apollo





No comments:

Post a Comment